Saturday, May 21, 2011

What I Eat: Around the World in 80 Diets by Menzel and D'Alusio

What I Eat: Around the World in 80 Diets
by Peter Menzel and Faith D'Aluisio

I just received my spring order of books, and this book is at the top of my favorites list.

What it's about: Imagine a photograph of you along with everything you eat in one day. What story would it tell about you, your culture and where you live? Menzel and D'Aluisio photographed and interviewed 80 vastly different people from around the world about what they typically eat in one day.


What I love:
This book is fascinating! It may not be a cover to cover read for most, but read aloud any page, or part of any page, and you will have students hooked. The book is organized by caloric intake - lowest to highest. From the Maasai Herder, to the Bullfighter, the Model Student to the Oil Platform Chief  - the photos draw you in, and the interviews are extremely compelling.

My favorite part: The immense variety of people, jobs and lifestyles included are so interesting - once opened this book is terribly difficult to close.

Other connections:
This is a perfect fit with our older grade health classes who keep food diaries at one point during the year.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this one as well! It's circulated quite well with my students, too.

    ReplyDelete