Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Celebrating Picture Books & Native American Heritage

November is Picture Book Month and it's Native American Heritage Month.


To celebrate both, here are three fabulous picture books I love reading out loud that celebrate Native American Heritage:


 
Muskrat Will Be Swimming
by Cheryl Savageau

What it's about: Jeannie is teased and called "Lake Rat" at school, but her grandfather helps her discover that being a lake rat - a muskrat - is really something to be proud of.

My favorite line - "I know who I am, and I know about the lake, that we're part of it, and it's part of us."


additional teacher resources





 
Jingle Dancer 
by Cynthia Leitich Smith 

What it's about: Jenna doesn't have enough jingles for her dress to dance in her first pow-wow, but if she borrows a few from different jingle dancers she knows, she may have enough.

My favorite part - each time Jenna borrows enough jingles to make a row, but doesn't take so many that the original dress loses it's voice.


 
Sky Dancers
by Connie Ann Kirk


What it's about: John Cloud is proud of his father and uncle who are working on the tallest building in the world - the Empire State Building.

My favorite line - When John is thinking about what he will do with his own life: "There was time to listen to the music of his heart. For now he was content to walk beside his father... one step at a time."
I love to pair this with Pop's Bridge by Eve Bunting


More about Native American Heritage Month at nativeamericanheritagemonth.gov

No comments:

Post a Comment