Big Bad Ironclad!
from Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales
by Nathan Hale
What it's about:
The race between the North and the South during the Civil War to develop an ironclad warship and all the battles along the way.
What I loved:
1. A Lovable cast of narrators (the spy Nathan Hale, the Provost, and the Hangman) who keep popping in to add commentary on the story
2. Clever ways (through both the art and writing) to help the reader keep all the historical characters straight.
3. Action - my young readers will love that Nathan Hale left out all the boring bits!
4. Shout outs to librarians, research and bibliographies
5. Lots of Humor, as well as multiple references to underwater toilets.
This book grabbed me from the first frame with its goofy hangman character who loves Children's Story Hour - all the way to the back matter where author Nathan Hale admits to outsourcing his research for the book to adorable babies.
More information about Big Bad Ironclad!, the Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales series, and the 1828 Election Throwdown Showdown webcomic on Hale's Website: