Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Caldecott Challenge 1971-1973

3 years and 13 more titles.

I was born in the 70s, so I am encountering more and more books I remember from my childhood. There are titles like A Story a Story or The Funny Little Woman that I thought I had not read, but as I read them now, I feel a flicker of familiarity from my elementary years. 

Hardest to Find: If all the Seas were One Sea - Made another trip to the wonderful Milestones collection at the Central Minneapolis Library for this one.

Most Controversial: In the Night Kitchen - naked kids always seem to cause such a stir

Most Unexpected: Hosie's Alphabet - The cover did not invite me in, but I love the 

Most Nostalgic: Frog and Toad are Friends - It still confuses me that everyone just laughs at Toad's Swimsuit, he goes home upset, and then that's the end of that story/chapter. 

Most Disturbing Last Line: Snow White and the Seven Dwarves - The Evil Queen was made to wear red-hot slippers made of iron "and dance till she dropped down dead." (not quite "happily ever after")


1971 
Medal Winner: 
A Story A Story
retold and illustrated by Gail E. Haley


Honor Books:

The Angry Moon
illustrated by Blair Lent
retold by William Sleator

Frog and Toad are Friends 
by Arnold Lobel

In the Night Kitchen 
by Maurice Sendak


1972 
Medal Winner: 
One Fine Day
by Nonny Hogrogian

Honor Books:

Hildilid's Night
illustrated by Arnold Lobel
written by Cheli Durán Ryan

If All the Seas Were One Sea 
by Janina Domanska

Moja Means One: Swahili Counting Book
illustrated by Tom Feelings
written by Muriel Feelings


1973 
Medal Winner: 
The Funny Little Woman
illustrated by Blair Lent
retold by Arlene Mosel


Honor Books:

Anansi the Spider: A Tale from the Ashanti
by Gerald McDermott

Hosie's Alphabet
illustrated by Leonard Baskin
written by Hosea, Tobias & Lisa Baskin

Snow-White and the Seven Dwarfs
illustrated by Nancy Ekholm Burkert
translated by Randall Jarrell
retold from the Brothers Grimm

When Clay Sings
illustrated by Tom Bahti
written by Byrd Baylor 



Caldecott Challenge 1938-73 total: 157


No comments:

Post a Comment