Monday, June 24, 2013

Caldecott Challenge 1996-1999

Almost half the titles from 1996-99  included a cat somewhere in the illustrations - that's a lot more Caldecott Cats for the list.


So why am I even looking for cats in Caldecott books? Good question.
When I started the Caldecott Challenge, I started taking photos of the cover and a favorite illustration.


I put the first decade together into a slideshow:




I started noticing that many of the illustrations I was drawn to and photographed included a cat.


So I started actively looking for cats...and found a lot of them.
Some of the cats are characters, but often they are just part of the background.








I know that there are many I have missed, but I have enjoyed the hunt.


My other "mini-obsession" (as the lovely Melissa Techman recently called it) is searching for the number 5. I look for the number 5 everywhere, and there have been a few good finds among the Caldecotts. Including these two from  The Gardener and No, David!

 



Caldecott Winner and Honor Books 1996-1999

1996 Medal Winner:  
Officer Buckle and Gloria  
by Peggy Rathmann 



1996 Honor Books: 

Alphabet City  
by Stephen T. Johnson  



Zin! Zin! Zin! a Violin  
illustrated by Marjorie Priceman
written by Lloyd Moss 



The Faithful Friend
 illustrated by Brian Pinkney
written by Robert D. San Souci  



Tops & Bottoms  
by Janet Stevens 


1997 Medal Winner:  
Golem 
by David Wisniewski



1997 Honor Books:

Hush! A Thai Lullaby 
illustrated by Holly Meade
written by Minfong Ho


The Graphic Alphabet 
by David Pelletier



The Paperboy
by Dav Pilkey


Starry Messenger
by Peter Sís


1998 Medal Winner
Rapunzel 
by Paul O. Zelinsky



1998 Honor Books:

The Gardener
illustrated by David Small
written by Sarah Stewart 


Harlem 
illustrated by Christopher Myers
written by Walter Dean Myers 


There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
by Simms Taback


1999 Medal Winner
Snowflake Bentley
illustrated by Mary Azarian
written by Jacqueline Briggs Martin


1999 Honor Books:

Duke Ellington: The Piano Prince and His Orchestra 
 illustrated by Brian Pinkney
written by Andrea Davis Pinkney 


No, David!
by David Shannon 


Snow
by Uri Shulevitz 


Tibet Through the Red Box
by Peter Sís


Caldecott Challenge Total 1938-1999: 258



No comments:

Post a Comment