Monday, September 16, 2013

It is Monday... September 16



Visit Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers to find out more about It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? and link to other participating blogs.




The only thing I didn't like about reading Book #2 of the Keeper of the Lost Cities series is that it doesn't come out until October 1st. And that means that it is going to be a long wait for book 3. ~sigh~

My students and I are so excited that thanks to the fabulous folks at Addendum books, Shannon Messenger will be visiting our school in October!

If you don't know the Keeper of the Lost Cities series - it is a must read for your middle grade fantasy fans.






To start off the year at my school a gingerbread man goes missing and the kindergartners go looking all over the school for him. Along the way, they get to see all the different areas of the school (the gym, the office, the library) and meet the folks (like me the librarian) associated with those areas. They come into the library with a sign they made of what he looks like, and ask if I have seen him. I get to introduce myself and say "he was here running in and out of all the shelves, but then he ran that way," and wish them good luck on their search.
They eventually find him and get to eat him. 

I met me new kindergartners on their search, and shared Gingerbread man loose in the school with them when they came back for their first official visit to the library this week.

Such a great book to start off our reading relationship.











This is the Bud's latest choice for a read-together book.


6 comments:

  1. I haven't read Jedi Academy yet but it's sitting on my desk just waiting for me to open it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Gingerbread Man is Loose in the School looks fantastic! What a great way to introduce new K students to their new school surroundings (perhaps followed up with a school tour and some gingerbread men to eat!) I can't wait to share this with the K teachers at my school. I'm also currently reading Counting By 7's - really enjoying it so far. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met Laura Murray at a conference this summer (she's actually local to my area) and she's just as fabulous as her Gingerbread books. What a great way to start the school year!

    Maria @novalibrarymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jedi Academy? That will be a popular find at my house. Gingerbread Man is also a great idea for kindergarteners to start the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard so much about Counting by 7's. I would be interested to know if you think it is good for 4th graders. I just requested Jedi Academy from my library. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gingerbread Man sounds like a lot of fun. Jedi Academy looks great. Oh by the way, did you know that there's a Star Wars Reads Day on the 5th of October? We are also doing a giveaway of three Star Wars books - you might want to check it out for your son. We're giving away three books to three winners. :)

    ReplyDelete